Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Generation Gap

Many times I would write my blog in”Taglish” in order to bring out my point. It is not my intent to isolate my non-Tagalog speakers. That’s the last thing that I would do because I have readers as far as Italy, Chile, Brunei, Hongkong, and Portugal.
I am thrilled with the blog stats I receive. I have just started my blog and my readership has increased tremendously. Thanks to all those who visit my blog. Please continue to visit my blog whenever you have a chance. I update my blog daily.

I was in the mall the other day to do my regular walking exercise. The mall is a good place to watch human behavior. But an expensive place to exercise. I always end up buying something. Anyway, one reason that made me write this topic is the pants worn now by teenagers. The kids were walking in front of me. They wear huge, loose pants, three times the size of their waistline. As they walk, they need to hold the pants in order not to fall.

As I look at these kids, inis na inis ako. “Ang pangit tignan,” I would tell myself. But I understand the generation gap. During my time, my conservative old maid aunties and my parents are upset when they see me in bell-bottom pants or in tight, low waist jeans – the fashion during my time.

Even when we go to church now, we have changed our manner of dressing. Although I would say it is not a generation gap but rather the changing times, Malaki na ang pinagbago ng panahon. I remember during my time, we wear our best clothes when we go to church. We will never wear a new pair of pants or shirts without wearing them first to the church on a Sunday. Nung araw ang mga kababaihan ay modelo sa kahinhinan. When they go to church, they wear veil and conservative clothes.

Today, women go to church in shorts or jeans with plunging neckline. Halos makita mo na ang bituka sa suot nilang plunging neckline. During my time, the hostess (they are now called guest relation women), are shy to go out at night and be seen by their neighbors. They would wear bandana to cover their face. But now no more. Nung araw nahihiya ang isang babae na matawag na kabit ng isang lalaking may asawa. The mistresses are now very proud to be called “number 2 or 3” of a married man. Ngayon mas matapang pa ang kabit kaysa tunay na asawa. Inaaway nila ang tunay na asawa. In the United States, if you are an elected official and you are caught having an extra marital affair, you are so embarrassed that you are forced to resign from the position. Sa Pinas, bale wala sa mga politico ang mapabalitang may mga kabit sila. Our former presidents, Fidel Ramos and Joseph Estrada, are among them.

During my time, the “badings” and “tibos” are all kept as a secret. If you are exposed as a bading or tibo, you will be an outcast. When I was studying at the Mapua Institute of Technology on Doroteo Jose, Manila, you cannot be a bading. Shombug ang aabutin mo. But now, the badings ang tibos are lording the Manila’s finest. When I watch the TV shows, I ask myself if there are still true “machos” in the entertainment industry.

How times have changed.

No comments: