Sunday, May 11, 2008

Salamat sa lahat, Inay


Today, the nation celebrates Mother’s Day. Without being biased, Filipino mothers deserve more accolades than their counterparts in the United States. In the United States, children become independent when they reach the age of 18. Here in America, we have financial aid and other sources of revenues for the children to go to college. We don’t have such financial assistance in the Philippines. I have seen Filipino mothers shed tears to help their children. Kahit gumapang sa kahirapan ang isang ina, maitaguyod lamang ang kanyang mga anak at mapagtapos ang mga ito sa pagaaral. Freddie Aguilar’s song, “Anak,” is an excellent tribute to Filipino mothers.

During my elementary days in the 50’s, the kids would come to school with pink cadena de amor, pinned on their shirts or blouses while others wear white cadena de amor. The pink color would symbolize that the wearer’s mother was still alive and the white symbolized that their mothers had passed away. I feel sad because my mother passed away in 1993. I envy those who still have the opportunity to let their mothers know how much they love her. I wish I could bring back the times when I could pick up the phone on Mother’s Day and call my mom to let her know how much I love her. Filipinos are not very vocal and showy about their feelings and emotions. We only realize the need to let our mothers know how much we love her after she’s gone. Very often we would say, “if I could only bring back the time.” My dear readers, before it’s too late say it now, “Mom, I love you!” “Inay, mahal kita. Kahit marami akong pagkukulang hindi mo ako pinagkaitan ng iyong pagibig at pagkalinga.”
“Salamat sa lahat, Inay!”

No comments: